Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 5: Novel 13

I know I said I wasn't going to say anything about the new idea that I came up with but I ended up starting it instead of continuing Love, Life and Friends so I guess I can let you guys know a little about what it.

It's currently untitled and I haven't really thought out a proper summary for it yet but here's the gist of it. Four friends are living in North Chatham, MA leading normal, mundane lives. They recieve wedding invites to their other friend's wedding in Santa Cruz, CA. Instead of flying there or travelling together, the four decide to make a bet. They race each other to the wedding. They begin the journey in North Chatham, with a banged up, used car each and just $5,000 to keep them going from North Chatham to Santa Cruz. They have just five days to make the journey but they soon discover that their journeys will be anything but easy.
I'm going for a comedic point of view with this. It's in the third person but tells each of the four characters individual journeys. I've only researched enough to write up to the point where they're about to head out. I've been writing for about two hours on and off and I've got 1,755 words that is just two of the characters getting up and heading to work! I really do love this idea and can't wait to see where this story goes.

Excerpt:
'As if some invisible buzzer had gone off they both dashed for the door. It was only a few steps away and as they both reached the door at the same time, they crashed into each other and the door. They both grabbed a hold of the handle as they slid down the door towards the floor. The handle followed them to the floor. Cody looked at his hand in disbelief for a few seconds before bursting into laughter. Pippa frowned at him and looked up at the door, where a hole now sat in place of the handle.'

It's full of typos and bad grammer but I'll fix that another day. At the moment, I'm just happy that it's turning out nicely. I think this is a novel I'll want to get critiques from.

No comments:

Post a Comment